Friday, June 3, 2011

The Advantages of Being Disorderly

I had a lot to do today.

I was going to buy a new computer -- Yay! It's only been probabaly 15 years since we bought a new one.

I was going to go to the Emergency Essentials store and buy a big barrel for water storage --  With all the disasters going on over the last few months, I think having 55 gallons of water in  our basement would be a good thing.

I was going to pay the bills -- A big one is hanging over my head and I want it taken care of.

I was going to go to the gym -- I've gained weight because I've been depressed and I eat to make myself feel better.

I was going to go the temple -- Always a good idea.

None of those things happened.


I did get to the bank. I did help a friend who needed to talk on the phone for quite awhile. I did help a lady in our ward who needed me to do something for her on the computer. I did read the paper, walk the dog, and later go to the dogpark. I did go to Office Max to buy printer paper, pick up Mosey's med's, (Mosey is my daughter--I'm calling her that in my blog because she loves to mosey everywhere she goes) and buy some milk.  I also took a shower, listened to a book on CD while in the car, read my email, and now I'm writing this blog.

So some things got done--- but I feel guilty. Why? It's because I can't compete with JJ. He is superman, super-organizer, super- task doer. Those qualities are his gifts. He is the energizer bunny with an intense need to put all things in order. Give him a list and watch him go. But I am . . . well, I am pretty much a human version of Winnie The Pooh. I had someone tell me once that I have small motor. It's true. In my day to day life at home, I get overwhelmed easily and I struggle to stay moving at a brisk pace. I need a little smackeral after I've done a chore, or have run an errand. I need to sit down and just veg after interaction with other people.

I know I would probably get more done if I left behind this guilt I carry around about not getting things done! I do much better when I stop beating myself up and let go of the anxiety. The other day I was quite down, and when I decided it was perfectly fine to feel down, I started feeling better. Weird, huh?

So what's my point? I guess my point is that although I am now in an anxious state about all the things I didn't do, the friend that I spoke with on the phone is doing better,  my dog is happy, the woman in my ward who asked for my help will get her internet list of cars for sale, and  because I blogged I will be more content, having exercised my writing muscles today.So it's all right to give myself a little Pooh Bear pat and say ta-ta to the guilt. The unexpected and fulfilling things took priority, and for me, that's usually how it goes.(tiddley-pom)

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."
                                                                                                   ---  A A Milne

No comments:

Post a Comment